P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

14 October 2017

A Hole of Hope

  To  Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow~Audrey Hepburn
 
I have spent almost a year now, like many of us, walking in circles, with sleepless nights, listening and watching and reading in outrage, sadness, incredulity and fear...not to mention throwing shoes across the room at every report of Twitter gone mad.  I can't seem to find a comfortable spot for myself. I guess I'm looking for safe, for hopeful, for OK. The morning after the election, when I couldn't stop shaking, I told myself the only answer was keep your head down and focus on your small corner of the planet, create what impact you can, do what you can to create kindness and change-to help in any small way to find hope for better.  My office is above a nursery school and when I see those kids playing and screeching with laughter I want to be with them, in a world without the theatre of the absurd come to life. So I try to take my cue from the kids and when I saw their sign above their garden this week  I realized I too can dig a hole-not to crawl into, though that has been tempting this year, but to fill with a bulb. No an ugly flower bulb doesn't solve too much except keep me out of trouble for an hour or so, but in that burlap bag there is hope. Digging a hole is not going to magically make all of this insanity go away, but at least in a teeny tiny corner there may just be a promise of  a sprout, a stem, a blossom of promise. So like the kids, I take my hole digger, a basket of bulbs and a belief that planting a garden means I still have some control and that there is hope -unless of course the chipmunks and squirrels dig them up-are they on Twitter too?? :)

Where Flowers Bloom so Does Hope~Lady Bird Johnson