P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

30 April 2016

Book Me In!

 “Books are the plane, and the train, and the road. 
They are the destination, and the journey. They are home.”
― Anna Quindlen
 
How do you become a Reader?  I believe to my toes that it starts with someone reading to you...as soon as you can put the letters together you want to grab that book from the reader and read to them. To this day though I do love to be read to.   How do you become a Book Lover?  A trip to a wonderful library will do that, it certainly did for me...
 
 
  ...but I do like to keep things :)  so my passion for collecting books and being surrounded by books in every corner of my life, began in a bookshop. 
 
 
 A bookshop is a Magical Place.  No matter the size or location, it can be crammed with aisles and aisles, shelves upon shelves, many of which I can never reach, filled with colorful spines and stories that will carry me to places and into adventures that I may never have otherwise known.  There is a new book smell that fills the shop along with the hush of book chatter. "what have you read?"  "what's new from..?"  "When is the next...coming out?"  
 
  
“Yet there was always in me, even when I was very small, the sense that I ought to be somewhere else. And wander I did, although, in my everyday life, I had nowhere to go and no imaginable reason on earth why I should want to leave. The buses took to the interstate without me, the trains sped by. So I wandered the world through books. I went to Victorian England in the pages of 'Middlemarch' and 'A little Princess', and to Saint Petersburg before the fall of the tsar with 'Anna Karenina'. I went to Tara, and Manderley, and Thornfield Hall, all those great houses, with their high ceilings and high drama, as I read 'Gone with the Wind', 'Rebecca' and 'Jane Eyre'.”   Anna Quindlen
 
 
I love to wander into the kids section and stroll through the picture books.  
That is where it starts, and there is nothing like watching a little one discover how amazing it is between the covers of a book.   

 
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own. I learned who I was and who I wanted to be, what I might aspire to,
 and what I might dare to dream about my world and myself...."
Anna Quindlen
 
Whatever life drops on my doorstep I know that opening a book and breathing in a great writer's story will help me to toss off a day, focus on what is important, push me to think beyond my walls and carry me off.  Books open doors, windows, lives and hope.  Finding a new book to take home makes a day!
 
 “Every reader, I suspect, has a book like this somewhere in his or her past, a book that seemed to hold within it, at that moment, all the mysteries of the universe.” 
Anna Quindlen
 

Today is Independent Bookstore Day.  Happy to report that despite on-line amazons and e-reading that Indies are here to stay.   There is nothing better than losing yourself in a wonderful bookshop.  Find a new title you never would have discovered.  Revisit an "old friend".  Discover what others think of the latest...  Fill your shelves.  Replenish your bedside table.  Fall into pages!

Go find an Indie near you and Buy a Book...or 12!
 
 
 
 “Of those of us who comprise the real clan of the book, who read not to judge the reading of others but to take the measure of ourselves. Of those of us who read because we love it more than anything, who feel about bookstores the way some people feel about jewelers. The silence about this was odd, both because there are so many of us and because we are what the world of books is really about. We are the people who once waited for the newest installment of Dickens's latest novel and who kept battered copies of Catcher in the Rye in our back pockets and backpacks. We are the ones who saw to it that Pride and Prejudice never went out of print.” 
Anna Quindlen