P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

26 February 2015

No Choice but to Force It!


With over 98" of snow in less than a month's time I am a little afraid to think Spring--mud, rain, flooding....normally I would say Bring it on! but not quite sure where all of this snow will go come spring.   With frigid temps and relentless storm tracks you have to wonder if we should really just look toward July.  So until Mother Nature gets over whatever emotional issues she seems to be having with us I am choosing to bring Spring inside.


 I love snow,nothing is as beautiful as a fresh fluffy coating of frosting...  At least for a day the winter world is dressed in style. This year,however we are not simply dressed in snow but literally buried under it and by the looks of things there is more on the way and we will be snowbound til the 4th of July parades.  Even a snow lover in a winter like this one, when the snow is reaching the top branches of my crab apples, is up and over the window panes, and I can barely find the dogwoods let alone my driveway, has to throw in the shovel and say I quit!



 I want some sign of Spring - NOW!  So, all over the house I have been Forcing It! as best I can in baskets and pots, and cachepots- There are Hyacinth, Amarylis, Baby Iris ,and even Lavender seeds beginning to sprout...all hopeful signs.


The first ones to pop, filling the house with their grand distinctive scent, are my Paper Whites...tall and present and exactly the visitors I need, albeit too brief, to welcome me back home after unwrapping scarves and big boots and tossing off the gloves and puffy coats.  I know they won't stay as long as I would like but at least as the days grow brighter they remind me that equipment truck on its way to spring training isn't the only sign that maybe one day we will all thaw.


...and by the way-did you know February is National Bird Feeding Month? 



Love this frozen dinner- filled  with cranberries, kumquats, citrus slices with  white polished stones and pepperberries for decoration. If you can find your bird feeder dig it out and give any brave ones who have wintered with us a snack...even the squirrels are welcome!