P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

04 January 2014

Dare I Do Downton-You Betcha!


"Don't be defeatist, dear.  It's very middle class." 
The Dowager Countess Violet

The first weeks of January can be such a crash to earth.  The holidays are over, the weather is frigid and icy, and there lies a whole new year to tackle.  This January, however, the lovely schedulers at Masterpiece and PBS have given us a late holiday gift to help us start the year in style-Downton style. Downton Returns!! tomorrow evening!!!   


 "When I think what the last 10 years has brought. God knows what we're in for now."  
The Dowager Countess Violet

Admittedly last season left us reeling.  Edith left at the altar, Downton itself in financial ruin, Sybil's death in childbirth, Mrs. Hughes' cancer scare, broken hearts upstairs and downstairs, intrigue and envy, sorrow and sarcasm, jealousy and revenge... ...and then of course there was Matthew.  Even with all the spoilers the Kleenex was still flying.  So after all the sadness and heartache dare I take up with the Crawley family once again this season-try to keep me away!

 "Oh, that's a relief. I hate Greek drama. When everything happens off stage."
The Dowager Countess Violet

Season 4 of Downton Abbey begins 6 months after Matthew's death.  Sadness engulfs Downton no doubt, but it is the Jazz Age after all so we can look forward to fabulous fashion, social change that many at Downton never do well with, and lots of distractions with the introduction of new characters and blossoming romance.   

via
"Edith, stop fascinating that young man and come make a four at bridge." 
The Dowager Countess Violet

 Lady Mary is now extremely eligible, Tom and baby Sybbie need someone , Edith has a married man in pursuit, Lady Rose has a jazz musician of all things in her world-that should shock a few dowagers! 


 “I’m not a romantic… But even I concede that the heart does not exist solely 
for the purpose of pumping blood.” 
The Dowager Countess Violet

...and downstairs has so many closets and back stairs to conduct back stabbing and several  rendez-vous.  Thanks goodness for Anna and Mr. Bates!


 “I love you Mr. Bates. I know it’s not ladylike to say it,
 but I’m not a lady and I don’t pretend to be.”   
Anna Bates

There is the promise of Shirley's return along with Paul Giamatti , fresh off his wonderful role in Saving Mr. Banks, as her son to add some American intrigue and there is the  loss of the wickedly wonderful Miss O'Brien--doubtful she left disarray behind and did not go  quietly.



 "Why does every day involve a fight with an American?"
The Dowager Countess Violet

 The producers promise a "dire new threat" to Downton this season that no one sees coming.  Such  is the genius of Julian Fellowes, he has created a world we don't want to leave and can't forget,  stuffed with characters who capture us with their style, dialogue, and plot lines.


"I do think a woman's place is eventually in the home, 
but I see no harm in her having some fun before she gets there."
The Dowager Countess Violet


So yes, having all this time away from Downton has left a hole that only a return to the Crawleys can fill- though I admit to re-watching all seasons over and over on line. I have indeed accepted my invitation back to Downton with great anticipation and no worries as I know that there is a Season 5 in the works!!


“I’m a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose.”  
The Dowager Countess Violet