P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

05 December 2013

"It Always Seems Impossible Until it is Done"-Nelson Mandela

1994 Nelson Mandela photographed by Herb Ritts via

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

The news was not unexpected, yet when I heard that Nelson Mandela had died today I was still brought up short, pulling to the side of the road to listen to the reports and to hear his voice in audio clips -a voice that healed and united a country-the voice of a man whose spirit could not be kept behind bars.  His name at birth meant "shaker of trees" , or troublemaker, and he would go on to shake the greatest tree and change his country and the world .

1964 Mandela is taken to prison via

“For to be free is not merely to cast off one's chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”

 Mandela released from prison 1990 via

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." 


1994-Mandela revisits his prison cell at Robben Island via


“Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times
 I fell down and got back up again.” 

Nelson Mandela is sworn in as President of South Africa, 1994 via

 I have always been so grateful to have come of age at a time when it was possible to witness one man change the world. Thank you Madiba.


"When a man has done what he considers to be his duty to his people and his country he can rest in peace.  I believe I have made that effort and that is, 
therefore, why I will sleep for the eternity."