P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

28 October 2012

Weather or Not...


With all the forecasts and  warnings about the imminent arrival here on the East Coast of Sandy -The "FrankenStorm"-  yesterday was spent prepping the gardens.  I will let the winds take the hydrangea leaves but as I tucked away planters and took down vulnerable trellis  I came across my Halloween roses.  All summer long my roses emerge so slowly but they seem to love the fall best and even after a few frosty mornings they still appear, often as late as Thanksgiving--standing out in contrast to the bare branches and berries that surround them.  Everyone else with the exception of a turned hydrangea here or there, and the fading mums, have pretty much given up on their blooming season and in a week or so I will take the clippers and begin the process of putting the gardens to bed...but yesterday with the uncertainty of what this storm will bring I was reminded yet again why I am a gardener--the roses will bloom!  Stay safe and warm and dry!!