P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

14 October 2012

My Pumpkin Awaits

via
I would rather sit on a pumpkin, and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion
Henry David Thoreau

Cinderella may have preferred the golden coach over the humble pumpkin and mice but this time of year I am searching for the perfect pumpkin...


via
...and not necessarily the kind you place on the porch--I am crazy for the color pumpkin! and am on an endless hunt for the perfect  pumpkin orange yarn to knit with.

via
October is my favorite month-filled with the glow of leaves dressed for best, baskets filled with apples, branches of bittersweet, and my favorite sound in the world-crunchy leaves underfoot as I shuffle through the biggest piles I can find.  October is filled with so many special memories and yesterday while visiting the farm I was pinned back in time by the amazing aroma of cinnamon donuts filling the air mixed with the scent of leaves and mums and apples.

via
  Of course October also means Pumpkins! and hunting for the perfect pumpkin has been an October pursuit of mine for as long as I can remember. I have my favorite pumpkin patch haunts which I am happy to say that most are still around but now the variety is overwhelming.


via
 So many of my October memories revolve around pumpkins-I can remember scooping out a big pumpkin filled with slimy seeds and roasting them in the oven then filling a simple envelope with salty seeds to send off to my brother at college--wonder if they ever made it to Maine without falling out all over the post office.  

via
 When I was growing up pumpkins and pumpkin carving were pretty simple affairs--two triangles for the eyes, an upside triangle for the nose and a jagged mouth--not so any more--pumpkin carving as we know is now an art. With such a variety of pumpkins and gourds-especially the white pumpkins the possibilities are endless.

via
I love them as centerpieces filled with autumn color, piled high as topiary at entries painted,decoupaged,pierced,sculpted,glowing, flocked--and even Chinoiserie -


 via Chinoiserie Chic

 Simply GOURD-geous!

via
Much like Linus I believe the perfect magical pumpkin exists but I love the pumpkin that needs a home-the one that may not have all the features to make the cover of Martha Stewart, the one that stands out from the patch and says Happy October!

via
"There are three things I have learned never to discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin." Linus