P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

03 February 2012

A Good Lesson-An Old Schoolhouse Gets Re-Educated


 Living in a 19th century caretaker's cottage I can totally understand and empathize with anyone who takes on the restoration of any antique home.  I could never live or be happy in a cookie cutter space so whenever I spot caring and creative restoration and reinvention I smile and applaud...especially a cottage.


 When I saw this fabulous Catskills Cottage on Hooked on Houses I had to share.  Originally an 1840s Federal style schoolhouse, the neglected property was rescued for $30,000 by a magazine editor and a decorator who quickly scooped up the 900 square foot relic and spent a year breathing life into what would become their "Monkey Cottage".


  No closets, ceiling so low you couldn't stand, burst pipes and layer upon layer of paint and wallpaper were a few of the challenges Jason Oliver Nixon and John Loecke had in store-I can relate to all that!



I love the  happy colors and every inch nook and cranny made useful


 ...and when they were done a magical weekend retreat was their reward! -For more schoolhouse chic Come Visit A Well Appointed Life-Go to the Head of the Class Guys!


Hooked on Houses via Country Living