P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

24 September 2011

What's on The Menu?

I love finding vintage graphics to use as focal art -movie and theatre posters and lobby cards, magazine covers, fashion and perfume advertising from old magazines,art from children's books all make fabulous eye candy.  In my dressing closet there are Hermes, Dior, Lanvin ads from the 40s and 50s.  My powder room has perfume ads from Gruau and in the kitchen there is a sweet watercolor of Beatrix Potter's showing Peter Rabbit's Mum in her kitchen along with a sign from my favorite ice cream shop on Cape Cod.

In the dining room, however, along with my "fine art" hangs one of my favorite pieces.  A vintage menu cover from  Mirabelle restaurant in London.  We are often so busy deciding what to order in a restaurant that we may overlook the attention to detail and the fun of the menu we are ordering from.  Very often the menu is one of my favorite things about a restaurant and reading a menu can be as much fun as reading a good cook book...and no calories!  

The art of menu design is celebrated in a new book  from Taschen.   Menu Design in America explores the history of menu art and features hundreds of graphics from American restaurants from 1850-1985.