P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

03 January 2010

10 for '10-A Few of My Favorite Things for the New Year

With the holidays over, and the New Year still in single digits, you need to regroup, refocus. You have a clean calendar and it can be a bit daunting as to which direction to head in this new decade. Of course, you could continue paddling your canoe down the same stream, but this is an opportunity to climb out and look around! Now, I DO NOT do Resolutions...all you are ever left with at year's end is a pile of "Ugghh!, I didn't get that done did I??" ...What I do think about this time of year,however, is the "OK, if I get to it I would really love to..." THAT is where the Inspiration comes in---Dreaming, Planning, Organizing- with no rules, edicts or directives! Give yourself some breathing space! Sometimes not knowing which direction to head can lead you to a whole new place. I think the main thing is to take a step off the road you usually go down and see what happens-you can always turn around you know! Look to simply jumping over puddles, and to what is possible, not the mountain that you may or may not climb.

With that in mind,and apologies to Maria Von Trapp and Julie Andrews, these are "A Few of My Favorite Things" that may just inspire me to dream and go forward down a few new paths in 2010...

1. Raindrops on Roses-I will never! sacrifice my hydrangeas but I would love a French Potager Garden like Meryl Streep's in It's Complicated

2. Whiskers on Kittens-

NO! I am not getting a cat but warm,soft, fluffy are definitely happening...

Kim Hargreaves, Haven

3. Bright Copper Kettles-I don't expect that I will ever cook my way through Julia Child's cookbooks like Julie did but I certainly would love to go page by page with the Brass Sisters

Heirloom Cooking With the Brass Sisters: Recipes You Remember and Love

and Ina Garten

Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics: Fabulous Flavor from Simple Ingredients but what I really would like to do is play! or just sit and watch in Ina's fabulous kitchen!

4. Warm Woolen Mittens-There is something about a Mitten-some even make you want to crawl inside and stay put til April !



The Mitten 20th Anniversary Edition-read about
Jan Brett's process for The Mitten


I could snuggle in with these from
Twist Collective -instead of hibernating in my mitten think I will donate the old ones and make myself a new pair!

5.Brown Paper Packages Tied up with String

Holly Blog
I love packages arriving unexpectedly...what will come for me in 2010? Maybe something special to adorn my world-vintage buttons or ribbons or charms from Susan Gower's collection...

Nifty Thrifty Dry Goods
or...the ultimate String! --Pearls and Yarn!

Kim Hargreaves

6. Cream Colored Ponies-It is time to think about a new car afterall !!


OK...this may be more my "speed"


7. Wild Geese that Fly with the Moon on Their Wings-Get the Travel Magazines out! I want to Pack my Bags-Italy calls-
Portifino Taormina

8.Girls in White Dresses-Seems that lovely things happen to Girls who Wear White---
To Catch a Thief
Perhaps this is a good year to shop for my own... I would have to fly to Venice for this one!

Of course Girls in Basic Black have not done too poorly...

Maybe one of each!

9. Snowflakes that Stay on My Nose and Eyelashes -
When was the last time I put on my skates, where are my skates?? The Vancouver Olympics begin February 12-do I have time to train?

Veranda
Maybe I will just build a snowman instead!


10. Silver White Winters that Melt into Spring

...and we are full circle back in the Garden...This year-Beds of White Lavender!

>White Flower Farm

Maybe I will even start them from seed-White Ice!