P.S.-Pooh Says...

"What day is it? - 'It's today' - squeaked Piglet. 'My favourite day' - said Pooh."- A.A. Milne

11 October 2009

A Reluctant Adieu to a Lost Season



I still have a pair of flip flops by the back door. The T shirts and shorts are still on the shelves but are slowly and reluctantly being exchanged for Turtlenecks and Woolen cardigans. It is getting dark earlier and earlier and SUDDENLY it is fall...OK it has been fall on the calendar for a few weeks now but for me Summer JUST ended. It ended at Fenway Park today.

This baseball season for the Boston Red Sox has been much like the summer season itself this year...very strange. They were a team in command of the American League---they would "win it all"---yet it never felt right and as July came to a close the Yankees were not just over our shoulder they were sitting in the front seat.

Today this season that felt like it never really got going ended with a sweep by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim(is that any name for a baseball team!) at home with a two run lead and two outs in the 9th and THE closer on the mound. In the blink of a bat swing the chance for a 4th game and my summer were gone.

Bart Giamatti was right---Baseball"... breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone."

With that cheery thought in my head, I dejectedly walked outside feeling the loss of a season cut short-it is October after all, the best time of year for baseball. To console myself I grabbed my trowel and a bag of bulbs and went to dig my way to Spring Training. Time is moving so quickly as it seems like I was just pushing away the old leaves to make way for the spring flowers to make their appearance. As I plotted out corners of color, grumbling to myself with each dig into the earth, I looked up and saw that I am not the only one who is not ready to put the flip flops away...My roses and hydrangeas and sweet daisies have not given up and in many ways their "last blast" is their best. Come visit Down the Garden Path to see The Gardens of Camp MP bid adieu to summer 2009---it's all up to you Tom Brady!